sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Speedometer, temp gage, fuel gage, check engine light not

Customer Question

speedometer, temp gage, fuel gage, check engine light not working, occasionally they do work, but only till I turn the key off, re-start and nothing. Have soldered the main connector, checked main ground and ground to BCM. It is a 94 voyager original owner, also checked all solder joints on BCM, checked the OID fuse. It has been sitting for a while, and last week I was able to start and stop it 3 times and everything worked, then I turned on the A/C, and after turning the car off, no gauges, check engine light, or oil pressure light. Next will start checking voltages on can buss.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: no check engine light at all when starting the car, so in California - can not get smog check unless light comes on when vehicle started.
JA: What year is your Voyager?
Customer: 1994
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, verified grounds, fuses, cable connections both BCM and Cluster
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the instrument cluster is going down completely then the failure could be internal or it could be losing a power or ground feed. If it's staying awake yet gauges are dropping out and all warning lights come on then it could be a bus communication issue.

Have the powers and grounds been tested at the time the problem is happening?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
only the illumination lights, turn signal indicators, high beam indicator continue to work. After the van had not been started for a couple of weeks, I started it and ALL worked, gages, warning lights etc. I stopped and started 3 times all worked. Then I turned on the A/C for about a minuet and then restarted - no gauges and no warning lights.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry, will test the voltages later today and respond back.Harry
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Great!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I got some testing done last night and here are some of the results: on the twisted pair (data) one read as 2.48 and the other 2.51, grounds showed no resistance, illumination lights showed 13.8 volts. Could not determine the "power feed +" last night, however I know which ones they are and will test those tonight for voltage. Thanks,

If you have an incandescent test light or a headlamp bulb and jumper wires that's what you'll want to use to test the powers and grounds.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** I do have the incandescent, and will use for the ground and power.

Great!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have load tested power pins 11, 6, and 2 - all good, Ground pins 7, 14 all good using a two filament incandescent bulb. So the only pins on the connector I have not tested are labeled as "decode high" and "decode low" do not know what to test for, these are pins 5 and 3, also working to see that the female barrels in the connector are actually making contact with the pins on the panel circuit board.

Those are the communication bus circuits. Can you check the voltage on those?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
5.04 volts on both.

That's with the key on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
correct, key on, off there is no voltage.

So the engine starts and dies now? If the PCM and BCM can't communicate then it will start and die.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Engine runs fine, no issues with that, starts at just the touch of the key, has never died. Just gauges (speedometer, fuel and temp.) and the check engine light does not come on when you first start the engine. I keep trying to check the other lights, Oil, rear door ajar, and low fuel, and battery. but have not yet. Not sure if those all cycle when ignition is turned on.

I don't think those were the bus wires. The bus wires should be violet/brown and violet/black. Can you check those two?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
twisted pair (data) one read as 2.48 and the other 2.51,

The problem is internal in the instrument cluster then.