Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

2007 Town and Country Touring, 3.8L was misfiring on

Customer Question

2007 Town and Country Touring, 3.8L was misfiring on cylinder 4, MIL lit and heavy knocking if the RPM's were under 2000 on the road. OBD errors were P0304, P0300, P0325 (Knock Sensor 1 Circuit, Bank 1) After about 200 miles, feathering the throttle to return home, the MIL started flashing and I stopped to have the van towed the final 30 miles home.
We found the spark cable to #4 broken at the plug. Plug (Autolite) was wet with fuel. Replaced all plugs (Champion), cables (Duralast) and, lastly, the coil pack (Duralast).
Now, though the engine clearly runs smoother, the error erased, the MIL flashes again with P2305 (Ignition Coil "B" Secondary Circuit), P0300 (Random - Multiple Misfire Detected), P2305 (Ignition Coil "B" Secondary Circuit) and P0325 (Knock Sensor 1 Circuit, Bank 1)
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the engine still knocking with this issue here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
A little rough at idle, but otherwise it seems much smoother. Surprised the flashing MIL recurred. Haven't driven it with the replacement parts AND flashing MIL.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

I suspect the knock sensor code is due to the misfire and should correct itself once the misfire is corrected.

Did you make sure the spark plug was not cracked when you replaced it after the replacement and the wire is seated properly as well as the coil?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The spark plugs were very carefully installed, with no problems and all connections double-checked for proper seating, etc.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The random misfires seem a deeper issue than any one plug.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Do you have spark from the new coil you installed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As I said, the engine runs much smoother now and I was surprised to see the P0300 error and, especially, the flashing MIL
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

O.k.,this may be a faulty PCM.I have seen the PCM fail before needing replaced.The options for the coil control code is a fault with the spark plug,spark plug wire,coil,coil or PCM wiring or the PCM itself.You have replaced most all of these here already and have this issue now.If you would like I can post the diagnostic flow chart/test procedure for this code below for you to follow to pinpoint this issue just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there a diagnostic procedure for the PCM that doesn't require OEM computer, tool, etc? I can conduct logic-based process of elimination to narrow the likelihood of PCM failure, if your diagnostic flowchart supports that. Please do send the chart.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Should the troubleshooting be inconclusive, can the van be driven, even with the flashing MIL, the 18 miles to the Chrysler shop for a resolution?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Below is the test procedure that needs followed.You dont necessarily need a dealers scan tool you can usually check this with an after market scan tool that is compatible as well.

This symptom is diagnosed using the test P2302-IGNITION COIL #1 SECONDARY CIRCUIT-INSUFFICIENT IONIZATION.

Engine Running.

If PCM detects that the secondary ignition burn time is incorrect or not present an error is detected. One Trip Fault.

- Intermittent condition
- Spark plug
- Ignition wire
- Ignition coil operation
- Ignition coil control circuit open
- Coil control circuit shorted to ground
- (A142) ASD relay output circuit
- Ignition coil

Here is the ASD relay diagram

Here is the coil diagram

If you cannot locate the fault and if it is not running rough or making noises and is operating o.k. then it can be driven o.k. to a repair facility for testing and repair.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you have Dropbox links that don't require creating an account?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

You should be able to open them to view them is that not working for you?

Have you tried to open them with a different web browser at all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was able to scroll down to a link to view the GIF. I'll try the others as well.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

O.k. sounds good.

Thanks Pete