sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Yesterday when I pushed the button to lower the gate I hear

Customer Question

Yesterday when I pushed the button to lower the gate I hear something break. I then had to lower it by hand. It makes noise but will not raise. I have to push the button and immediately pull it up by hand to open it.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2002 Town and Country limited
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: If it's not to big a deal. I have tried nothing.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I think something broke when I tried to lower it. I heard something break.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you heard something break during a power close cycle yet you're still able to open and close it by hand then there is an issue with the lift motor assembly. You'll want to visually inspect the liftgate struts and hinges but if it's opening correctly by hand then there shouldn't be an issue there.

You're most likely going to need a lift assembly. Make sure the rod between it and the liftgate on the left side is still intact. If ok then you'll need to remove the quarter trim to expose the lift assembly for a visual inspection.