sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Stalling out at traffic stops. Then tries to start cranking

Customer Question

Stalling out at traffic stops. Then tries to start cranking but not kicking in for several attempts then starts.
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: Just spent 800 on a tune up all new platinum spark plugs. New RCM last week at 550 ...
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2005 crossfire
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 2 different Chrysler dealers. Check engine light is back on again. Have an appointment at dealer on monday
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: 105 k on engine. I was mad after spending 550 to fix and I took the car up the street from 0 to 65 mph in about 6 seconds. When I got to the top of the street the check engine light was off
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that could cause the engine to die. A common cause of what you're describing is a bad crankshaft position sensor, but it could be a wiring issue or even an internal failure in the powertrain control module.

The engine light is on because the PCM has seen a failure in a monitored component or system and set a fault code. The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting and then testing can be done from there. Do you know what codes are currently setting?