virtual auto tech.
virtual auto tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 13 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop

Intermittently, the van will not start. Turning the key

Customer Question

Intermittently, the van will not start. Turning the key results in a "chunk" sound (not a click). I've replace the starter and the starter relay. The WIN module has been installed.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: No problem with the steering wheel. It is not a metal key - it is a FOB.
JA: What year is your Van?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The starter has been replaced 3 times. The starter relay has been replaced. One other relay was replaced by the mechanic. Don't expect to fix it without help.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The mechanic says there is nothing wrong with the battery. He says he cannot troubleshoot further unless it malfunctions in his shop.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 2 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So the mechanic is right, it's impossible to pinpoint the problem with out testing it as it happens.But here are the three top possibilities.
1) insufficient ground. (The model of the van is t listed on your post but the journeys had a problem with needing a ground strap added down by the starter area of the engine to the body)
2) PRNDL switch bad ( not allowing sufficient current thru to fully engage the starter) PRNDL= Nuetral safety switch.
3) ignition switch bad (same reason as PRNDL)All of these can be intermittent.Let me know if you have any questions.Thanks
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Do you still need help with this problem? Please let me knowIf not would you mind rating my help.Thanks