Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a soft top convertible. i hit the down button the top

Customer Question

i have a soft top convertible. i hit the down button the top went half way and stopped. i hit the button again the top went down but the trunk lid would not close. nothing is in the trunk to interfer with the shield. i hit the up button the top went half way up and stopped. hit it again closed but wouldn't latch. hit it again latched but trunk lid still would not close. i started to wiggle the shield the top lays on then hit the
JA: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?
Customer: button and the lid went down.
JA: What year is your Convertible?
Customer: button and the lid closed. it is a 2008
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: not sure. one of my customers that has a garage put a scanner on it and it had no codes come up. can that shield become fatigued. where the 2 pieces connect the center latch doesn't seem to lock in
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: are you there
JA: No. I'm the Chrysler Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: that's all i know
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this sounds like a possible internal electrical fault with one of the roof limit/position switches sending incorrect signals on what position the roof is in.This will cause this type of fault here.

If you have not had the fault codes checked to see what codes are set this needs done with a scan tool plugged into your model that can read all computers.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to help locate and repair this issue here.The scan tool is also used to monitor the switch/sensor signals so the affected switch/sensor can be found needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did have the whole car scanned no codes
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Do you know if it was scanned with a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers on your specific model?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

With no codes set and it does move a short amount and stops I have seen issues with the motor that runs the top and top components that will cause this issue here needing replaced.I would have the motor/pump tested as well as the other top components to locate the fault.

A scan tool may have to be used to monitor the sensor signals to see if a sensor is sending a false signal even though no code is setting as I have seen occur as well here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.A 5 star rating is appreciated.Thanks Pete