Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician

Got power & ground to ac clutch coil but wont engage. jumped

Customer Question

got power & ground to ac clutch coil but wont engage. jumped it out & will engage.
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: no, it has a 5 speed manual. the wiring on coil was trapped under bracket for plug after some previous owner had changed it, the red wire had a black spot on it.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: changed clutch coil, set air gap @ 15 thou, got power & ground @ coil but will not engage, put 12 volts to hot side & it engages.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Sounds like you have an excessive resistance problem in the circuit between the AC clutch relay or the relay itself. The fact that there is power at the coil connector is one thing, but when that circuit is loaded it cannot provide enough current to energize the coil. Try This: Remove the AC clutch relay and look on the bottom of it. Locate the 2 terminals labeled # 30 and # 87. Now look in the fuse box and see where those terminals plug into. Get a jumper wire and jump cavity # 30 to cavity # 87. See if the clutch engages.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
there are not any relays in the fuse box, it has an integrated power control module.
Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.

What is the model of your Chrysler?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.

I know it is a 2006, but what is the model. Is it a 300, a Town & Country, or a Sebring?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it is a 2006 pt cruiser 2.4
Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.

Ah ok. Thanks . I am going to look at the wiring diagram. Be back asap.

Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.

Ok, after looking over the wiring diagrams, I have determined that you have a failed high side ac clutch coil driver transistor in the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module). The TIPM is the under hood fuse box. Based on what you have told me if you replace the TIPM. I am 100% sure that this will fix this issue. If you want to replace it yourself, then let me know and I will send you the procedure on how to replace it.