Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic Vehicles .
45790705

2002 pt cruiser wont crank wont start starter good. Yes.

Customer Question

2002 pt cruiser wont crank wont start starter good.
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: Yes. Possible pcm failure but I want to check everything else firsy
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Pro mechanics say pcm has been failing for a few months now. Now entire car will just not crank. changed out pcm with mail order unit but it didnt work. getting another from same company tomorrow. Error code p0601 comes up on odometer saying its pcm
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be be posting a replay ASAP

those pt cruiser has a problem with battery cables, it comes as one assembly, below is a link where you can get one off ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-POSITIVE-NEGATIVE-BATTERY-CABLE-HARNESS-2001-2005-CHRYSLER-PT-CRUISER-/231490010566?fits=Year%3A2002%7CModel%3APT+Cruiser&hash=item35e5e13dc6:g:LpwAAOSwpDdVS5aO&vxp=mtr

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry, I was on a phone before and couldn't explain very well due to screen size. Before my starter "died", I was having problems with a SES light.. I've had it towed in several times and my mechanic has replaced almost everything. He said the only thing left was the PCM or finally, the fuse box itself. Now last week I drove to a store a mile away, came out 15 minutes later, and got a single click on the starter. I tried jumping and getting a new battery right there since it was a cheapy, all with no effect. I replaced the PCM with a dedicated programmed unit from a reputable dealer who specializes in such things, and I'm getting a p 0601 code. Now I'm thinking this is just because of the starter failure to begin with, or the new PCM is bad.. Yesterday, I pulled the starter and had it checked professionally and it was fine. Now this leads back to a PCM or something else that was replaced, and that failed. I tried pulling the starter relay and replaced it with the a/c relay which is the same and that had no effect showing that can be ruled out. So before I have it towed in again, what are the chances of it being the PCM?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also, what are the chances it is a timing belt failure?

from what you describing , if it was a timing belt failure , it will either turn over and no start at all, or start but runs rough.so no way it is timing belt issue

how about the battery cable i sent you the diagram for has it been checked ?

Chad

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Hope I was helpful to you

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back And Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have.

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certfied Technician