sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

I have a 2000 concorde lxi that seems to die at stoplights

Customer Question

I have a 2000 concorde lxi that seems to die at stoplights for no apparent reason and won't restart until after I have the car towed home. I then starts like nothing ever happened.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes. acts like its ran out of gas with a full tank
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Had a mechanic take a look and it never acts up with a mechanic around. They have replaced fuel filter tested the fuel pump and it still happens.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The idle sometimes hiccups before it dies.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that could be causing the engine to die and not restart. It may be the fuel pump or a pump wiring issue or you may be losing spark due to a cam or crank sensor issue, wiring, the ASD relay, or the powertrain control module itself may be failing.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see if any fault codes are setting. Have you checked for codes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no errors all within perimeters

If no fault codes are setting then I would next recommend monitoring fuel pressure to see if pressure is dropping off when it dies. If pressure is dropping off yet there is still PCM communication when it dies then either the fuel pump is failing or is losing power or ground. The pump may be failing, there may be a wiring or connection issue. I've seen corrosion in the connector under the right rear seat cause a poor power feed to the fuel pump on these.