sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 1999 chrysler sebring convertible it went dead

Customer Question

i have a 1999 chrysler sebring convertible it went dead while driving.. the no. 8 fuse was blown marked starter ign. and fiul pump. i replaced it and that work for a little while but now the fuse don,t blow and the starter won't turn the motor. i can put 12 volts to the starter and turn over the engene just fine but it won;t start. and i'm not getting spark
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: yes all fuses are good
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: what would make the starter not work and no fire at the same time, can the ign. do that
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: thats it can't find the fiul shrader valve to see if there is presure there
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The fuse may have been blowing for a number of reasons including an internal failure in the powertrain control module, high current draw in the starter solenoid, a wiring issue or high current draw in the fuel pump or another component on the ASD circuit. The starter is the most common cause of this fuse blowing but it sounds as if your PCM may have failed.

If the starter wont' engage with the key and you have no spark I suspect the PCM isn't awake. I know that you haven't checked pressure, but do you hear the fuel pump run when the key is turned on?

Have you checked for scan tool communication?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
don't hear fuel pump running, but on dash cluster it said no bus.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
can one thing cause all these problems, no starter, no fuel, no ign.

The PCM is definitely down. What will need to be done is test it's power and ground feeds and if ok then it can be condemned.