Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

Working on a 2005 PT Cruiser, 4 cylinder turbo car. The

Customer Question

Working on a 2005 PT Cruiser, 4 cylinder turbo car. The instrument panel has quit. I checked the fuse and it was blown. Replaced the fuse, and still did not work. The fuse socket is loose, but still has power. If I wiggle the fuse, sometimes it works. What is the repair solution? I thought of bypassing the fuse box and putting in an inline fuse, but I don't know the wiring color or position.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 3 months ago.

Hi, is the fuse fitting loose in the contact or is it the contact to wiring that's loose?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

fuse in the contact. I tried wrapping a small amount of wire on the fuse blade, but that didn't work. Maybe it is the wire on the end

There may be some corrosion on the contact. What you can do is take a pick and scratch the contact and also use the pick to pry the contact out so it makes better contact.

Usually the part where the wire connects to the contact doesn't come lose, but what you can do in that case is remove the fuse box and resolder the wire on the back side.

Let me know how cleaning and tightening the contact goes and we can work further if needed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

that had no effect. I tried bypassing the fuse box altogether, and it worked for a minute. Then I disconnected the battery (hoping to reset something) and it seemed to start working. After a few minutes, it stopped working again. The key chime and dome light seem to share this circuit. I initially thought of a short, but the fuse isn't blowing, and it works for a few minutes at a time

Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

lets try something simple here..Remove both battery cables from the battery, touch and hold both the - and the + cables together for 5 seconds, then re-install them back to the battery

if this doesnt fix your problem,,i would think your problem is a bad instrument cluster itself

these clusters are known to go bad like this,,

you can get a good buy in a used cluster at your local salvage yard or on

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.