sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Blowing the 10a ing sw fuse intermediatly, have but a

Customer Question

blowing the 10a ing sw fuse intermediatly
JA: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?
Customer: have but a resetable relay in so i dont have to replace fuse a hundered times
JA: What year is your Ion?
Customer: its a 2001 chrysler town and country
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i have taken it to 2 mech and 1 electrician, just want to fix it, but no one has figured it out yet
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Cary York replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is appreciated. I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

Is the fuse in the underdash fuse panel or under hood? And what is the fuse #?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
23 under the hood it's a 2002 Town & Country, previously I said it was 2001 but it is a 2002. I can run the car all day long and it won't blow the fuse but if I put it into drive and put under load as long as it's heated up for at least 20 minutes it will blow the fuse. I change the fcm, the ignition switch, the ifm, but have not changed the BCM because everybody saying is just for the power windows door locks so on and so forth. Being that is not a dead short and that is intermediate, it's really giving me a hard time. I was wondering if you've ever ran into anything like this before.

Fuse# ***** also supplies power to the Sentry Key Immobilizer Module. Here is the location. Lots of moving parts in the steering column. Tilt, turning, etc. I would check for broken/grounded wiring. Move the tilt up and down to see if you can get it to duplicate.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will check that tomorrow, it really only happens when the engine is hot and has been running at least 20 min (normal operating temp). Confusing cause its not a dead short, and it is resetting it self with in 2 min. Wish me luck lol, will be a very happy camper once I do find this thing.
One other thing comes to mind. You said it happens when you put the car under a load. The engine torques when you put it under a load. so there is movement under the hood which could move Omar and harness if it were grounding out. You can try doing a wiggle test on the harness under the hood. Wiggle the harness and see if you can get it to react. I have seen harness problems underneath the fuse panel under the hood near the transmission .
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ya already check that for sure. I am wondering if there is some kind of sensor other than the input or output sensor for the transmission.

Sorry. I have to opt out.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Found some wires under dash showing signs of heating up (pw). Following these from ignition to bcm, it is the only component I have not changed.

Any wiring showing heat damage should be replaced, soldering the connections and sealing the splices with heat shrink tubing.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Check

Let me know if you need any more help!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think I am good right now will do some rewiring and double check harness also, and change the bcm. Had it running for about a hour before it happened again, as soon as I got it above 60 mph, I could smell burning under dash, it lasted for about 5 min like that before blowing fuse. I installed a fuse breaker so I could continue driving without having to change fuse.

Let me know how it goes and if you need any more help. Good luck with the repair!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you

You're welcome!