Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician

Chrysler 400 cu in engine sometimes won't idle down like the

Customer Question

Chrysler 400 cu in engine sometimes won't idle down like the choke is sticking and the engine revs up and it takes a number of accelerator kick downs to release the choke but then u drive for five minutes and when u put the car in park it idles up again this car is a 1978 Chrysler New Yorker brougham
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. The problem is either the automatic choke coil/spring link needs to be adjusted, or the heater element next to the coil is not heating up fast enough. That can cause the fast idle cam to stick on one of the high steps. Have that coil checked , and adjusted so that when the engine is warmed up, the choke is fully open and the fast idle cam is on it's lowest step. That will keep her from idling too high. If it still acts up, then replace the choke coil (which is in the intake manifold next to the carburetor.

I hope this information has been helpful, and thank you again for using just answer! Please do not forget to take a minute to rate my service using the just answer star rating system. That way I will get credit for helping you. Note that I can still help you even after you rate me.

Thank you!

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply /answer.