Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

The drivetrain of my 2003 pt cruiser ios locked. The engine

Customer Question

The drivetrain of my 2003 pt cruiser ios locked. The engine runs fine but regardless of what gear I put it in it will not move. Today I changed the trans filter and fluid but still no success. What should I do next?
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: Trans is as old as the car. Have not checked the brake switch. Car has 110,000 miles.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Want to fix it myself
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

I'd 1st investigate the connections to the brake pedal switch and the wiring to it for any crimp damage or fraying. Ideally use a multimeter to check that the switch is working OK. This is because the gearbox controller won't allow the lever to shift from park until it sees that your foot is on the brakes

There should be 2 switches one for the brake lights and the other for the gearbox and both are located at the top of the brake pedal in the drivers footwell.

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage for any broken parts and or missing bolts or if a bolt is partially out and is jamming things up

Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you