Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  #@ years in the Automotive repair field.

07 pt cruiser, will review to 2100 then smother out, never

Customer Question

07 pt cruiser, will review to 2100 then smother out, never dies, just will not pull, idles smoth, spent 700+ at Dodge, ran g [d for less than 2000 miles, they said someone put wrong cam in and they replaced computer with used one
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 3 cam sensors, plug, wires etc but no help
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My first chat said Dodge said wrong cam, replaced, also 3rd cam sensor
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: 97000 miles, last time I wiggled the plug on the cam sensor and got about 100 miles,you cheap obd11 reader gives codes $7e8 and 7e9, will clear them but come right back, engine light flashing now. Acts like Rev limiter is shutting it fown
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The check engine light flashing means the computer is seeing a direct engine misfire . The codes you have listed are not valid codes. Can you stop by your local parts store such as Auto Zone and have them scan the system for you and see what fault codes they come up with and post back with them and I will see if I can help you with this.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Finally made it to Auto Zone, car ran great going there, 20 miles. Found codes PO 300 and PO 335, crankshaft position sensor A circuit. Have already replaced it---under/ behind the starter---bought new plug and got it soldered on but that is as far as I got tonight. Hoping you have the solution
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there another crank sensor circuit
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

There is only one crankshaft sensor and that the one you have replaced. This code can also be set by a failing camshaft sensor or even worse yet a jumped timing belt. Start with checking the the output from the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) and the Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP). Both should be 5 volt square wave signals. If this checks okay the suspect the timing belt has jumped.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Has had head installed with new belt, was doing this before head work, maybe possible that belt was put on 1 tooth off. Hoping that the plug was not making good contact. Crazy part is that it does not do this all the time. It has times when it runs perfect
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

If it runs perfect at times then its not likely the belt is off, go back and read your signal from both sensor and recheck your connections. A bad connection could very well do this as well.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Put on new plug assembly, have not got all back together yet. Battery, battery box, various brackets, electric fan, will let you know if it works later
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
seems to be ok with new plug----but it has seemed that way before, now created another problem--can't get radiator drain cock to stop dripping. is it replacable, did not act like it would come all the way out
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Try placing some Teflon tape on the threads of the petcock and see if that will get it to seal.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Still has misfire, removed ox sensor from converter and have a lot of exhaust pressure coming out that hole, is there any way to measure exhaust pressure, seems like not a lot of exhaust volume or pressure
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

If your suspecting the catalytic may be restricted then try loosening the exhaust up at the manifold till you have a healthy leak and then take it for a drive. It its rest riced then the problem should clear.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Driving it now, can't make is run bad. Took ox sensor out of converter, worked a long heavy bread sack type wire in it, could find no obstructions, plugged and unplugged both ox sensors Got Fed up last night and put a generous amount of Lucas fuel treatment in on 3/4 tank of gas,MAYBE problems is down to a little water in gas. Maybe, still driving--yesterday ran perfect for15 miles.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Well hopefully its going to be okay. If not let me know .