Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

I have a Chrysler Town and Country van 2008 and the locking

Customer Question

I have a Chrysler Town and Country van 2008 and the locking mechanism will not lock on the hatch
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: By the way, I'm Cindy unlocking the doors, messing with the lock, unlocking and locking with key phobb
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?
Customer: 128,880 miles and no this is the first time. Would like to try and fix it myself.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

The liftgate lock solenoid has most likely failed. You will need to remove the gate trim panel to access the solenoid. You can use a test light or volt meter to verify that you are getting power to the lock solenoid when pressing the lock button. If you have power, replace the solenoid. If not you may have broken wires in the bellows boot on the top of the gate in the jam.

If you need more help, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please rate at the top of the screen. We can continue to work on your question, rating does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being there, but I try to give you the best possible answer with the information that I have. Thanks Dan