Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Sprinter Van Certified

I have an 89 TC by Maserati. The odometer and trip odometer

Customer Question

I have an 89 TC by Maserati. The odometer and trip odometer stopped working. I remember reading somewhere that the speed sensor could be the culprit by not sending enough electricity to the cluster to register both speed and distance. Is this true?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

If the speedometer is registering speed properly with no dropouts or delayed engagement then the speed sensor is operating properly, also you would get a code 15 if the speed sensor was faulty. If this is the case, the most likely culprit is an internal failure in the cluster. Keep in mind that if there is no cable running to the cluster then the odometer gears are driven electrically and this may mean that the internal motor may not be driving the gears.

If you want to check codes Try this: Sometimes you can get the vehicle to display the codes for you via the Check Engine Light, just cycle the key on and off 3 times within 5 seconds and leave it "on" on the last try, look at the Check Engine Light, and it may start flashing "Codes". Basically it will flash 2 digit codes and end with a 55. (in other words, if the lamp flashes once, then pauses and flashes 2 times, that is a code "12"). Write down all of them and post them here...Let me know if you are able to get codes in this manner and we can continue from there...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It flashed 1,2 then 2,3 and finally 5,5 which I figure it means end of the diagnostic.
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

ok, code 12 is the beginning code, 23 is for intake air temp sensor, if this has been disconnected for any reason and the key was turned on, this may be the reason for that code. The 55 is end sequence... At this time there is no code 15 so the speed sensor is operating normally. Is there any speedometer repair shops in your area? If so, that may be the best chance of getting this fixed.

Thank you,

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** have been most helpful. At least I know the speed sensor is ok which narrows it down to what I was suspecting, a bad odometer. I'll have to see if I can find a good speedometer repair show around here. Chances are it will be up in Sarasota (I'm in FL).
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Cool, glad I was able to help..

Remember, if you need help in the future, you can always request me through >>> My Profile Page <<< (Bookmark this link). Begin your question with “Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer! .

Thank you!