sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

1997 Chrylser Sebring LXi coupe 2.5 litre Bought the car and

Customer Question

1997 Chrylser Sebring LXi coupe 2.5 litre
Bought the car and had issues with the car dying at idle.
Replaced EGR Valve, Idle Air controller, PCV valve, O2 sensors between engine and muffler. Also replaced the main drive belt and then took it for a test drive. It died at a light 3 miles later and has not started again. Check all of the fuses - OK. While checking the relay to the fuel pump, found that the connector was very loose. replaced the connector and the relay. Determined that power is not getting to the fuel pump when the key was set to run or when the key was turned to start. I checked to continuity and connection to ground on the power wire from the relay to the pump. I checked that the other wire had a good ground. Determined that there was control power getting to the relay when the key was turned to run. The other control wire on the relay is supposed to be connected to ground via the computer, so I checked that wire for continuity and it was OK. I grounded that connection on the relay and turned the key to run and got 12 volts on the pump connection in the back. I also found a connector diagram for the computer and found that there were 2 leads on the computer harness that should have a connection to ground and I verified that this was true. Based on all of the above, it seems that there is some condition that the computer has detected that prevents it from connecting the control power connection on the relay to ground OR the computer is defective. Can you provide any further guidance?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The fuel pump will only have power for about one second when the key is first turned on and then again while cranking, so I'm not certain you checked for power at the pump when it should have been present.

Have you actually verified that you're missing fuel pressure but do have spark and injector pulse?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The power should be on for two seconds when key put in Run. I am told that you should hear the pump come on during that time but it does not. I do not have fuel pressure guage and have not checked spark. Are there any conditions that would tell the computer to not allow the pump to come on for that two seconds?

The fuel pump would run any time the key is turned on as long as the PCM is awake.

Can you check for spark and PCM communication?