Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

I have a question sir .just got a chrysler pacifica 3.5 with

Customer Question

I have a question sir .just got a chrysler pacifica 3.5 with a no start condition..I just did the timing belt everything seemed ok ...the engine starts but sounds horible and when turning over it sounds off time ..is this possible for the engine to run off time ?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Yes, you coud be off time by one or two notches and it will start and run, but will run poorly and lack power. Pull the timing cover back off and set the mark on the crank sprocket to the mark on the engine. Then look at the 2 marks on each cam sprocket. The mark on the timing cover should be between the 2 marks on the cam sprockets. If not then it is out of time.

Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I only see one mark on each cam sprocket and one notch above the sprocket dead center on the timing cover so im assuming thats what has to match correct ?
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.
Right I had it backwards. The single mark on the cam sprockets should be between the two marks on the timing cover.Chris
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok great im going to try again tom ill let you know how I make out !! Thank you
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Sounds good. I will look for your reply tomorrow. Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok so here is where we are at...the marks werer really close so I moved the right cam one tooth which makes it off now but it runs slightly better but still idles high and i have no throttle responce when i try to open it up ..its very weird ...i just bought this but the guy said its a 2004 motor and this is a 2006 pacifica...
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Hmmm, if it is idling high, check for any vacuum leaks

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hi, have not heard from you in a few days. How is it going with the truck?

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thinking it may be a valve issue ..the timing is on point ..no vac leaks ...it just is not running right ...everyone says these 3.5 's are known to ruin valves if the timing belt breaks and thats what I think is the prob here ...ty for helping me out tho !
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Yes. If the engine was running at a high rpm when the belt broke, then the valves probably were damaged.

Chris