sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Speedometer drops to zero and engine light flashes, and car

Customer Question

speedometer drops to zero and engine light flashes, and car will start to run rough and stall out. sometimes can wait a few minutes and it starts up fine. others I have to wait a while. at times will run for a few days with no problem. had it at dealer and all codes are strange, not true. and I have replaced the computer because of this problem months ago. still issue. concerned about driving it. 2003 pt turbo
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model of your '03 Chrysler?
Customer: gt turbo
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: one shop replaced computer, problem continued, dealer drove it a few days with no issues but within a day it stalled again. and stalls more and more often. sometimes in traffic it will will not start for a while
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not that I can think of, except it seems to usually stall shortly after the speedometer drops to zero and engine light flashes, but very few times it has shut shutdown when I stop
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

These symptoms do point to the PCM going down but it may be losing a power or ground, the sensor ground circuit could be shorting to voltage or a 5v or 8v reference circuit could be shorting to ground, in addition to the possibility of an internal PCM failure.

What fault codes are setting?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Fault settings are all over the place, even 4 of then saying injectors 1, 2, 3 and 4 are not working. I think if 4 wasn't firing the car would be running really poor, except for the stalling it runs good. Pcm is the computer, right? We replaced that first with stalling continuing.

The PCM is the powertrain control module.

Please list all P codes that are currently setting.