sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My alarm activated earlier when I shut the hood. I had to

Customer Question

My alarm activated earlier when I shut the hood. I had to disconnect the battery to get the alarm to stop. I can't start it or drive it, obviously. When the battery is reconnected, the alarm activates again. Please help, it is a 2000 Town and Country limited. Thanks
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Factory security wouldn't go off when closing the hood so I'm assuming you have an aftermarket alarm. Factory security (VTSS) would only sound and cause a start/die situation if a door opened unexpectedly while it was armed.

What needs to be done depends on the brand and model of the system. You may have a disarm switch or button under the dash.

Do you still have a functional key fob for the alarm? Pressing the unlock button would disarm it as long as the system is functioning correctly.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, we couldn't find a deactivation switch and I don't have a fob key. I bought the vehicle used. I've opened up the hood many times and not had this problem. Any ideas what I need to do before I have it towed?

Are you able to do the work yourself?

Can you describe the exact symptoms you're having?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I already explained everything.

You simply said 'the alarm activates' but that doesn't tell me exactly what is happening. I need to know the exact symptoms to even know whether it's an alarm issue, whether it's factory or aftermarket, etc.