bill, chrysler master tech
Experience:  25 years with chrysler drivability and electrical expert

Hopefully you can help me with my problem. I bought a 2006

Customer Question

Hopefully you can help me with my problem. I bought a 2006 Town & Country knowing that it had a transmission problem. I am now working on it. The problem is that it doesn't have reverse. I believe it is a control problem and not a transmission problem. The part that make me think that it is a control problem and not a transmission problem is that when the car is in neutral it drives forward as if the car was in drive. If I disconnect the connector going to the solenoid pack it does not drive forward in neutral. My thought was that it could be the range sensor. Can you direct me as to what I should be testing to determine the actual problem myself?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

the trans controller has the ability to store fault codes BUT you will need a proper scan tool with the ability to read transmission faults NOT just engine faults, this is where to start, pull the codes and that will give you the direction you need to go

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The codes that I am getting are:
P0700 & P0841.If I recall correctly I was not getting the P0841 code prior to my changing the filter and fluid. I believe it was a different code. It was months ago that I ran the codes initially. My phone is screwing up and I'm not able to access the codes from back then.When I have the solenoid pack unplugged the codes that I am getting are:P0700 & P0750
Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

USUALLY this is a dead solenoid pack, as the sensors are inside the pack and cannnot be serviced without the pack itself HOWEVER here is a link to the diagnostic procedure look it over, when i see this code i replace the solenoid pack FIRST as it's an electrical fault not USUALLY an internal transmission fault

Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

with the solenoid pack unplugged you will get several faults, i would clear all th ecodes and drive the van to see what resets, or else you're chasing ghosts

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The P0700 & P0841 are from after clearing them. I will clear them again though and check from there.
Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

any codes that return are the ones you need to chase down, many times when a trans fluid and filter change has been done "ghost" codes set and must be cleared

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
After clearing the codes and driving the vehicle no codes have returned.Reverse is still missing and neutral drives forward as if the car is in drive.If the is not turned on, in neutral I can push it in either direction but if the vehicle is turned on in neutral it only drives forward. When driving forward (in neutral) is doesn't shift gears. It stays in whatever gear it is in.I have not yet run through the tests that you sent.If the neutral switch/PRNDL range sensor is bad, would that cause the vehicle to drive forward in neutral and possibly not allow the solenoid pack to go into reverse?
Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

if it shifts properly i would say problem solved

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It shifts properly but I still don't have reverse.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the vehicle still drives forward when in neutral.
Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

only reverse missing AND no codes would be MOST LIKELY an internal failure of one of the clutch packs, a good pro level scan tool can do several tests called, a shift lever test, this one verifies the computer knows where the shift lever is, BUT you should have a digital display and as long as each position lights up properly the computer knows the shifter position, the cluster gets this info from teh range sensor(NOT A common fail part), it can also do a clutch test which activates each clutch pack (low reverse, 2/3 overdrive and underdrive) and when power braked with each pack activated the tech can determine any slippage , my bet is you have a clutch pack hanging up probably the low/reverse pack which is common in reverse

Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

low reverse is also activated in neutral so if it,s hanging up the van MAY creep in neutral, the cause could be a torn seal worn seal or broken internal component

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It doesn't just creep in neutral, it drives.
Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

like i said a clutch pack hanging up will cause this specifically teh low reverse one

Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

you may be looking at going inside this transmission that 4 speed was never known to be the most dependable one chryaler ever made and had it's share of issues with burning clutches

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Now I'm getting a P0734 code.Yesterday I realized that the front left headlight/turnsignal lamp wiring harness was chewed up by some animal not far from the range sensor connector. I already repaired that portion of the harness but I haven't had a chance to look deeper.Are you able to get me the wiring diagrams that include the range sensor and the solenoid block. I'm trying to wrap my head around the interaction between the 2 so that I can diagnose it in a way that quickly makes sense to me.I am an electronic technician that works on a lot of cars. I was buying, fixing and selling cars in my teens before I even had a drivers license. The reason that I bring that up is that I just want you to know that I'm not a hack shooting in the dark.The car drives pretty nice but reverse would be great. I'm hoping to try everything possible prior to having to drop the trans for a rebuild or replacement.
Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

P0734 is gear ratio in 4th meaning 4th gear slippage is detected possible causes are

personally i would replace the solenoid pack and see if anything is solved if it is great if not then go inside the tranny

but here are the diagrams for the sol pack and the connector pinout and a diag sheet for the P0734