Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

I just bought a 91 lebaron conv. Its been sitting. The

Customer Question

I just bought a 91 lebaron conv. Its been sitting for years. The tranny gets stuck in 2nd gear. if i pull over and shut it off it will shift fine for awhile. Seems like sticky valves to me.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any leaks lately?
Customer: 119000
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything yet. I was thinking of trying some Lucas additive.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not sure if its ever shifted into overdrive
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. The transmission is going int what is known as a "limp in" mode. When this happens, the transmission defaults to 2nd gear and will not shift. This can be caused by a failing transmission speed sensor, or a sticking solenoid. You can try an additive, but it may not help. What needs to be done is to ask the dealer or a shop with an older OBD1 scan tool to check the transmission trouble codes and see which sensor or solenoid is acting up. Then you can have the proper repair performed.

Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

I hope this information helps and if so, would you kindly take a minute to rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I can still continue to help you even after you rate.

Thank you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
I hope this information helps and if so, would you kindly take a minute to rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I can still continue to help you even after you rate. Thank you! Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Hello?? Do you still need help?

Chris