sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

I have a 1995 Chrysler LHS. When I drive at night I can not

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 1995 Chrysler LHS. When I drive at night I can not see the heater controller because there are no back lights since the "off" button was pressed. But, when I activate the heater or A/C then the button lights turn on. Is this normal?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The control head should have illumination any time the park lamps are on. If other illumination does work then the problem has to be in the control head, wiring, or possibly a failed driver in the body controller.

Do you have a test light?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What is a test light? When the park lamps are on and the controller is in the "off " position (i.e. no heat nor A/C in use) there is no way to see the controller at night. I thought there should be illumination in the dark when the park lamps are on.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I though it used to be lit up when I got the car. I just don't recall since I bought the car for my daughter for her to use for school. She no longer uses it...

A test light is a simple, cheap tool used to test for power and ground. Electrical testing is going to need to be done to determine if the problem is in the control head, body controller or wiring.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are the control head and/or body controller part of the heater -a/c controller? BTW - thank you for your input.

The body controller is under the dash on the right side.

The control head is the item you are having trouble with the illumination on.