Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Sprinter Van Certified
49095596

I have a 2007 300 Chrysler, i took the shifter out repairs,

Customer Question

i have a 2007 300 Chrysler, i took the shifter out for some repairs, i pulled the cable and the car went in drive. i reassembled the shifter and now i can.t get the vehicle out of drive and the key won.t release
JA: Any trouble turning the key in the ignition? Do you have a key fob?
Customer: i have a broken key fob i open the door by using the key
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2007 Chrysler 300 base model
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i took the shifter back out i thought the connection at the rear had become disconnected. they had not. im trying to repair this myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the key wont release and the shifter will shift but the dash indicator is saying that the vehicle is in drive but it is not also i cant get into the trunk
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

What repairs did you do to the shifter? Did you make sure to reconnect both cables to the shifter?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Robert..thanks for responding. Here Is what happen, the chrysler was stuck in park due to a faulty inter lock latch . (The pink thingy) I replaced the latch and on on reassembling the shifter ,apparently I've not connected the shift cable or the park brake cable correctly. But for now the shifter is shifting but the dash indicator is not moving and the last gear that i had the car in was drive and therefore the key wont release and the battery is dead. I did jump start the vehicle today to recheck my progress. I couldn't get into the trunk because the vehicle is in drive and the power button is not working and look like there is no emergency release. I crawled through the back seats. Yes i did take both cables loose before removing the shifter.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i did reconnect both cables.
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.

One of the cables should have a 8mm hex bolt attached, did you loosen this bolt when you removed the cables?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i did take remove and replace the 8mm hex bolt
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.

That may be where the problem is at. You will need to loosen the hex bolt, then manually shift the transmission to park. Then move the shifter to park. When both the transmission and the shifter are actually in park retighten the hex bolt and all should be well. To manually shift to park the vehicle needs to be raised enough to access the left side of the transmission. Move the shift lever all the way to the back then move the shifter to park and then tighten the 8mm hex bolt. This will adjust the cable to allow everything to operate properly.

Just so you know, this bolt did not need to come loose to remove the cable, the cable should pop off the ball stud on the shifter assembly.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Robert i've tried eveything you mentiond but still everything is the same. Nothing is working. If i put the tranny in park manually souldn't i be able to at least get my key out of the ignition
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.

To be able to get the key out of the ignition, the transmission must be manually shifted to park and the shifter must be in the park position AND the shift interlock cable must be in the correct position (This is the cable that is hooked to the pink thingy).

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, i got you. So maybe one of problems could be the alignment of the interlock cable, so it looks like i'll just have to tinker with that cable until something is corrected. That cable must be very sensitive because i thought i had it back in the same way that it came out
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.

Yes, that cable is very sensitive, it must be in the correct position to allow the key to come out.