Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Noticed odd idling 2 days ago. Put in 4gals of 93octane,

Customer Question

Noticed odd idling 2 days ago. Put in 4gals of 93octane, thinking it was bad gas. Van ran fine Tues. to work. When I came out of Chrysler at 4:30am. Car started up poorly, ran rough 10 miles to home. Check engine light came on w/3 miles to go. Is spark plug fouled out?
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: Light stays on. Van's only problem is small radiator leak which is manageable, & I NEVER use my AC.
JA: What year is your Van?
Customer: 2002. 3.3 6cyl
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just woke up after working C shift at Chrysler Belvidere. I can change plugs & wires easily enough, otherwise other sites I'm reading, this may sound like some wire harness fiasco.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Couple years ago, wife ran van out of gas. Fuel gauge has never read correctly since(1/8 of tank is actually empty now) Always heard that there could be fuel pump issues that ensue after running out of gas?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

Hello

if you have a check engine light on then ideally the next step will be to plug in a scan tool to pull off the fault code and so point to the fault

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.

As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattenedpiece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.

if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faulty

Air leaks are very temperature dependent as gaps can open or close up as things expand with heat, so the weather and engine temperature can effect them.

This leads them to be quite intermittent in the case of mild leaks

its also worth cleaning the airflow meter by removing it from the car and spraying the exposed sensor wires inside the tube with a brake or switch cleaner - ensure that the cleaner is one of the old fashioned, non Eco type that does not leave a residue

On no account touch the sensor wires with anything physical as they are extremely fragile

Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you