sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

It's brother. He bought a 1999 Chrysler Sebring in Idaho, is

Customer Question

It's for my brother. He bought a 1999 Chrysler Sebring in Idaho, is driving to Reno to visit family, and is stuck 60 miles out of town at a rest stop , and the car won't start. It worked fine all that way, but now he's stranded. He asked me to see if i could find out info about the anti theft thing. I guess he's checked the gas lines and a few other things. Naturally he has no AAA or much money to call for a tow. IS there an anti theft?
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Don't know about the battery, i'll call and ask, the engine won't turn over now.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I think he told me he checked the gas lines, I don't know what else. I'm in CA. talking to him every few min. on his cell. Worried it'll go dead if we keep on the line.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: My brother said a little before he pulled into the rest stop, the CD he was playing sort of stoped and started a couple of times. Then after he got back in to re-start the car, it would just click, but not turn over. This was last night, so he slept in the car, and tried again this am. He was wondering if it could be electrical. Or that anti theft thing. He says up until it would start, it was running great.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are a handful of things that could prevent the starter from engaging and it will take some electrical testing to determine exactly what is going on. The problem could be the battery, cables or connections, or the starter itself. If there is a click when the key is turned to the crank position odds are that click is coming from the starter as the drive gear moves but the motor does not run to crank the engine. A single solid click from the engine compartment when turning the key to the crank position is usually caused by a bad starter. Sometimes tapping on the starter while a helper taps on it will allow the starter to engage again temporarily.