sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Have 2008 sebring covertabletop has been working fine but

Customer Question

have 2008 sebring covertabletop has been working fine but tonight the trunk went up the top didn't come up and go in the trunk...think I messed up hitting the button on dash..anyway cant get trunk back down to try again
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have quite a few different things going on, a scan tool will likely be necessary to diagnose the problem.

The problem could be mechanical, hydraulic, or electrical. A component may not have moved to the correct state due to a mechanical issue or the tonneau may not be in the correct position because the pump din't run, the problem could be with the header latch system, it could be the power top control module itself, or there may be a microswitch or wiring issue. If the PTCM doesn't see all components in the correct state then it will stop operation.

What message do you see in the instrument cluster when trying to move the top now?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
went out this afternoon and hit top down button and top retracted in trunk properly but trunk lid stuck open yet wont close..sounds like motor running then above trunk latch in back

What start is the tonneau in?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not sure what you mean but was still Pushing top down I was trying to put it in the trunk

The tonneau is the panel that extends at the front of the trunk lid when the top is down.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
tonnourois forward extended

Will the top come back up and close now? What does the tonneau do if you try to close the top?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Nothing's moving when I try to close the top ..trunk lid still stays up and thE display says convertible top in operation

You're still hearing the pump, correct? If you're still hearing the pump running then either there is a mechanical problem preventing the movement of top components or a hydraulic problem is preventing the components from moving. The pump could be bad but it would be more likely that it's low on fluid due to a leak. Checking the fluid level would be a good next step if you continue to hear the pump run and no mechanical issues are visible.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
wheres the resivour to fill hydroclics

It's at the rear of the trunk behind the trim panel. You'll need to remove the trim panel at the striker area at the rear of the trunk and then remove the pump to expose the fill/check plug.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
haven't check fluid level yet under trim by striker area..top closes properly.. tournnau retracts ...just trunk stays up..is there a way to get trunk to close for now?

The top still cycles up and down but the trunk never moves?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

The module should never allow that to happen as it has to see the components all in the correct state at all times.

Do you have access to a scan tool capable of communication with the power top control module?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I'll ask around my friend they might have one

Ok.