Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Sprinter Van Certified

I have some issue with my 2006 pt cruiser It doesnt shift

Customer Question

I have some issue with my 2006 pt cruiser
It doesnt shift some times
But if i turn off ones or twices it solves the problem
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

When the transmission is not shifting it is going into "Limp Home" mode. This mode is a dafault mode that allows 2nd gear and reverse only. This condition means that there is a malfunction with the transmission. This could be anything from a failed internal clutch in the transmission, to a failed sensor to a wiring issue. To find out what is wrong you will need to have the vehicle scanned for codes. Any codes that are stored will help to diagnose and find the problem. The best thing to do at this point is to scan for the "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" (DTC's) from the onboard computers. The DTC's are used as the Starting Point for diagnosis. They let you know which system(s) the fault is in. This information is of great value for correct diagnosis. As a Technician, my first course of action is normally to scan for the DTC's. If you can obtain these codes, we can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem. You can have these Codes read for FREE at your local auto part store (AutoZone, O'Reileys, Advanced, etc.). If you post these Diagnostic Trouble Codes here, I can obtain the most accurate information to help you diagnose the Concern, and then point you towards the correct repair.

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
P0700 and p0882
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i have an obd scanner
I tried to erase p0700 gone
But p0101 and p1603 come
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

Ok, good. The P0700 is an informational code that gets stored in the PCM. This code is basically to tell you that there is a transmission code and that you need to scan the TCM to retrieve the code. Keep in mind that PCM and TCM are 2 separate controllers that are housed in the same box which is called simply the "PCM". The P0700 is there for "Generic" scanners or code readers that can only retrieve obdii emissions related codes. The P0882 code is telling you that there is low output voltage detected from the transmission control relay circuit. On your vehicle, the transmission control relay is internal to the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module). If the power is intermittent from the TIPM, the TIPM will need to be replaced. If the problem is caused by a wiring concern, you will need to repair the wiring as necessary.

I'm posting the diagnostic procedure for the P0882. You may be able to run this chart to be able to find the problem. Read through it and let me know if you have any questions. If you are able to do this procedure yourself, let me know and I'll be happy to help you diagnose this concern.

P0882 Diagnostic Procedure --->> Click Here to view <<---

I see that you have a couple additional codes. Let me research them and I'll get back with you asap..

Thank you,

Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

Ok, P0101 is coming up as a Generic code. Not showing up as a manufacturer specific code for your vehicle --->> Click Here to view <<---

The P1603 is for an internal problem with the PCM itself. The diagnostics has you check the connectors for corrosion or issues and if all is ok the PCM will need to be replaced...

--->> Click Here to view <<---

If the P1603 won't clear, you will need to replace the PCM BEFORE any further diagnostics are performed. This may well be the cause of the transmission concern also...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.