Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Sprinter Van Certified

I can't remember the year but my mom has a Chrysler 200 that

Customer Question

I can't remember the year but my mom has a Chrysler 200 that has a knocking noise in the dash on the right side. We first thought it might be HVAC related since it seemed to start when we turned the heat on in the winter; however, it has knocked with the car off too as I was approaching it to drive it.
JA: HHave you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: Not sure, I was going to have a Chrysler dealership look at it but the one next to us has an VERY bad BBB rating. So I just might take it to Firestone.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: I can't remember that. I think it is 2012 or 13.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not really. My husband has worked on vehicles but he really doesn't have the time.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Can't think of anything.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

From your explanation of the knocking sound, I am starting to suspect a problem with one of the HVAC Actuators. These are notorious for breaking and causing the knocking sounds. The sound does not always happen when using the HVAC. Anytime the A/C control head commands the doors to move it can start making this noise. A/c does NOT have to be on for this to happen.

If the noise is a cyclic clicking sound that lasts for 15 to 30 seconds then I suspect that this is the case. The most common one that can break is the HVAC Recirculation Door Actuator.

This can be easily diagnosed by removing the glove box door and turn the key on and operate the HVAC controls, when the noise begins, start looking for the source. If it is one of the actuators, disconnect it to see if the noise stops. Replace the affected actuator...

Here is a link to a site that you can purchase the actuator if you find that this is the problem, it also shows a pic of the actuator so you can see what it looks like...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is very helpful. I will keep you posted.
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

Sounds good, I'll be here..

Thank you,