Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

I have a problem with battery drain on 1998 Chrysler Grand

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I have a problem with battery drain on 1998 Chrysler Grand Voyager
JA: Have you tested the battery? Is the battery fluid low?
Customer: battery is ok
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yep, I am an auto electrician ... but I don't have experience with Chrysler vehicles
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The car in question is Grand Voyager 1998 (generation III), engine 2.0 gasoline, made for european market (I am based in Slovenia). When locked and everything switched off, it is draining from 1.6A to 2.0A of current. If I remove fuse marked as "Memory (IOD)", the drain drops down to normal 0.015A. Can you tell me what is connected to this fuse? Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I already tried disconnecting radio, but it did not help.
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. The IOD fuse powers the interior lighting, radio , and on some models the 12 volt power outlet I believe it also powers the glove box light and lighted sun visor vanity lights. Check those things and let me know if you find the cause of the draw.

Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi! I found 2 lights at the back of the car that were turned ON constantly. Now the current draw is down to 0.5A, still need to wait some minutes before I check it again.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
With all lights turned off, radio disconnected, power outlets disconnected ... the current draw is about 0.45A, which is much better, but still kinda high. I noticed that mileage on instument cluster is always illuminated. Is this normal, or should the cluster go to sleep mode?
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

The cluster should power down within 5 seconds after key off. if it does not. then the cluster will need to be replaced, and that is the remaining source of the draw

Chris