sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

I have a 2006 Chrysler Crossfire manufacture date 05/2005

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Chrysler Crossfire manufacture date 05/2005 that I'm have a battery draw issue with. New battery 3/2016, 19800 miles on vehicle. I disconnect the negative battery cable and use a test light between the negative cable and negative post on the battery ans the light is about half as bright as when I connect the light across the battery positive to negative posts.
with the test light between the disconnected negative battery cable and the negative post on the battery I have removed all the fuses in all the fuse panels with no change in the light. I cannot determine the cause of the draw. I took the vehicle to Chapman Chrysler here in Henderson Nevada and they could not fine the problem either.
If I google the problem I find several web sites where people have indicated they have had the same problem but with no fix for it. Some think it is a battery issue but I have a 3 month old battery and charged it after the recent dead battery issue at a rate of 10 amps for 24 hours.
Any help would be great. There appears to be circuit that stays on even after removing the key and allowing 30 minutes for the car to go to 'sleep'.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

A test light won't give an accurate indication of draw. An ammeter needs to be used for draw testing.

What needs to be done is disconnect a battery cable and set up the meter between the disconnected cable and it's post. A jumper wire should then be put into place between the cable and post and the lock button on the key fob pressed.

After ten minutes with the meter turned on, remove the jumper wire and read the meter. If the draw is over 40mA then there is cause for concern.

At that point you can remove fuses one at a time while watching for the draw to drop. You have to remember that removing and reinstalling any fuse that powers a mdoule will wake that module up so you'll have to allow time for it to time out again if you see draw increase after reinstalling a fuse.

Also keep in mind that a bad alternator can cause a draw. If the draw goes away with the alternator positive cable unhooked then the alternator needs to be replaced.