Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  #@ years in the Automotive repair field.
7276279

AC pump quits when engine get hot. blend doors only go to

Customer Question

AC pump quits when engine get hot. blend doors only go to defrost
JA: Have you checked the Freon level? Have you checked the hoses?
Customer: Yes. Freon is good hoses don't leak holds pressure for hours.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2004 sebring 2.4 dohc
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: blend doors worked until I tried to recalibrate. only blew hot air so after I checked Freon I assumed the blend door was not working. pulled fuse #5 for 10 minutes and now that's messed up. pump worked and blows cold air out the defrost vent until car warms up. then the pump quits cycling
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Can you explain your question, are you having a problem with the blend door or the AC compressor. When you say the pressure are okay can you tell me what your pressures are reading on the high side as well as the low side. Post back with as may details as you can and we can work from there to see if we can help you get this resolved.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I only have the gage that fits on the can of Freon, It is in the green, about 40psi when the pump is engaged. It goes into the red when the pump disengages.
All of the controls seemed to be working before I re-charged it. ie: the defrost/front/floor etc. I had a problem with the blend doors a couple of winters ago where I couldn't get it to shift to the defroster. I learned then that there was a calibration technique where I pulled fuse #5 for 10 minutes to reset the BCM. I started the car and touched nothing for at least 5 minutes and let the BCM recalibrate and it fixed the blend door problem and everything has worked fine since.
Since the Freon was up to pressure and all of the vents seemed to be working, I thought maybe the control wasn't shifting from hot to cold so I tried the same re-calibration technique thinking maybe that was my only problem. But now, when I start the car after the 10 minutes, the blend doors go through their motions but it always goes right back to defrost.
I thought I was getting closer because it was at least blowing cold air through the defrost vent, but then the engine got up to temperature and the pump quit cycling on.
I don't know if the engine getting warm has anything to do with it or if it was just a coincidence, but the reason I decided to charge the system in the first place was because the air would work for about 10 minutes into a drive and then quit blowing cold air. I had no problem shifting from front vents to defrost until I tried the recalibration. I hope you're not going to tell me I somehow fried the BCM.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Before you do anything else lets try the reboot one more time . This time I want you to disconnect both battery cable and then rub them together . After doing so reconnect them and recheck the operation . Let me know the results .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll try that when I get home this evening. Might not be an easy thing to do on that car because the battery is behind the inner fender. I can take the ground off but I'm not sure if I can even see the positive cable from under the hood.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Yes you will need to loosen the inner fender for access but for it to work if its going to you need to do both cables and rub them together.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Whatever it takes. I've never heard of that before but I suppose it can't hurt and I've learned something new. I would really dig it if it's as easy as that. I will let you know as soon as I find out. It won't be until around 4:30 eastern time so I'll message you later. Thanks for now.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

I should be here at 4.30 , let me know.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok Ron, prepare yourself to be totally confused. I did the battery cable thing to do the hard reset and it didn't work:-(
Now it seems that the air is working perfectly but my blend doors are still not doing what they're supposed to do.
Every time I start the car ( regardless if I rebooted the system or took out fuse #5 for 10 minutes) they go through the calibration sequence and settle out on the top (defrost) setting no matter where I have the dash switch set to. The pump seems to be cycling correctly and I have heat and air, but it always ends up stuck on the defrost vent. I did not see that the pump quit when the engine warmed up. It's not 90 degrees here today so maybe that has something to do with it.
I know this sounds ridiculous, but nothing at this point will surprise me. I noticed the dome light doesn't work. It's curious to me that the #5 fuse used to reset the BCM is labeled "interior lighting" and doesn't mention anything about the BCM. Could something as simple as that be what is screwing up the blend door calibration or am I grasping at straws?
I found on the net there is something called and ambient temperature sensor. Is that suspect?
It's a '04 and is probably only worth $1800 in good condition so I can't justify spending 5 or 6 hundred bucks to get the air fixed just to sell it. I'd like to keep it for a cheap daily driver because my girlfriend is killing her lease miles.
Is there a sequence of events I need to do exactly right to calibrate the control panel? Should I try and replace the dash control panel? Should I try and replace the bulb in the dome light? (looking at it, the filament isn't broken so I'm thinking the bulb is still good but I've replaced tail light bulbs before that looked good and were not).
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

I did some digging and found a service bulletin dealing with the type of problem you are having and it calls for calibrating the system. I have enclosed it in the link below. Have a look at it and see if this by chance will solve the problem you are having. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Cal%20Jun%2022.pdf

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
After some searching I found that M1 fuse is #1 and not #5. It still didn't work:-( I have air now but it only comes out of the defrost vent.
I wonder if I screwed up the pressures by adding a 20oz can of R134A. I don't have the gages to check hi pressure, only the gage that came with the can.
The sad part is that the blend doors worked fine until I pulled #5 fuse to try and recalibrate thinking that was what was the reason I wasn't getting cold air. It might be time to take it to a shop but like I said before, the car isn't worth that much, but if I sell it I'll get more out of it if the air works.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

The only way to read the pressures is with a full set of AC gauged, that being said, the systems pressure should not affect the direction of the air flow. Something is not right with your control panel. Im not sure what that is and if you would like I can open the post back up and perhaps someone else may have something new to add.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I would appreciate that. Thank you for your help so far Ron.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Doing so now. Best to you.