sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

When I turn my air conditioner on and get to a red light it

Customer Question

When I turn my air conditioner on and get to a red light it acts like it wants to cut off. Now without it being on, it acts like it don't want to go. I have to drive like 40-50 miles per hour.
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Chrysler Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. Have you checked the Freon level? Have you checked the hoses?
Customer: No, it crank and go but when I mash the gas pedal it starts to putt and cut off and I crank it back up and drive slow
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2006 Chrysler 300 C, Hemi
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I haven't tried anything yet. I don't know if it's the sensor. I had that fixed about 3 months ago and it was doing good until I turned the air on
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No that's it. Again, it only does that when I turned the air conditioner on. That's when the problem starts.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if you may have more than one issue going on. You have a driveability issue but if it only feels like it wants to die at stops when the a/c is running then I question whether the cooling fan is running. If it isn't then a/c high side pressure will climb very high and the compressor places a large load on the engine.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to see if any fault codes are currently setting. Have you checked for codes?