Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

Wont shift into overdrive, No orivinal part, 2005, Just

Customer Question

Wont shift into overdrive
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: No orivinal part
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just bought it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Tranny whines
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If the check engine light is on with this issue here the first thing that needs done is to have the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.

Usually with a transmission whine and a no over drive fault this is an issue with the torque converter itself in most all cases with it needing replaced.In some cases a code will set helping diagnose this as the issue but in other cases no code will set and the transmission usually needs removed and inspected internally to make sure it is the torque converter itself needing replaced.I suspect it does need replaced for this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete