sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My 2007 Chrysler 300 switch won't work.when I got it it

Customer Question

My 2007 Chrysler 300 switch won't work.when I got it it cranked fine no problem for 2 yrs.although from the day I got it when you'd go to shut it off you'd have to be sure it was turned all the way to left.if you didn't it would still be in park but gear panel lights and milage light would remain on.the man I got it from said oh just turn it further to the left left and everything with cut off.it worked just always made sure I pushed it all the way to the left and all lights went off.it cranked easy just a little play in it but never failed to crank..a few days ago I noticed I'd turn ignition but didn't hear it crank.thought I did hear it o VB er the AC so I'd cut it back in the off position and recramk and it always would.then yesterday cranked up fine went to store across street and when I went to crank it nothing.tried putting it in neutral nothing.repated process.all lights electrical coming on fine but now when you try to shut it down pushing all way to the left the shift lights on daslh and odometer lights are staying on like it's not shutting off at the switch but key just go both ways and does nothing.no other lights are on ..it's like you cut it off but car thinks it's still own.tow man said the ignition had way to much play.does that sound like ignition switch?
JA: OK. What is the model of your '07 Chrysler?
Customer: 2007 Chrysler 300 2.7 although door says 2006
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I really hope I can o just got out of hospital and financially drained need help.i explained I just kept working with switch ..put in neutral triedJust can't get switch to shut all the way off so gearshift light goes out or odometer
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem could be the ignition switch itself but I expect a mechanical issue. It sounds as if the lock cylinder isn't turning the switch either far enough or at all. Having problems leading up to it not starting points to progressive wear. Most likely either the end of the lock cylinder is worn or the piece it engages in the lock cylinder housing is worn. What will need to be done is remove the lock cylinder housing/ignition switch assembly, and then remove the lock cylinder and switch from the housing to inspect all three pieces.