sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Just replaced egr and repaired broken wire in harness. car

Customer Question

just replaced egr and repaired broken wire in harness. car still lacks power and hesitant to shift. takes forever to accelarate. 2006 t&c 3.8l.
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: fuses all fine yes i have wiring diagram
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: pulled codes 403-406 replaced egr. still got 404 code traced problem to broken wire in harness repaired that. no more codes but still no accelaration.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Many things will cause a lack of power but I suspect you may have a restricted catalytic converter. If a converter becomes restricted and blocks exhaust flow then it will cause a loss of power, shifting will be delayed due to the higher throttle angle, and that could have also been the cause of the P0404 because the backpressure will blow the EGR valve pintle off the seat. If no codes are currently setting and especially if you currently or have hear hissing underneath when accelerating, based on the symptoms I would recommend testing backpressure.