sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

1998 Sebring convertible (2.5 V-6) will sometimes start

Customer Question

1998 Sebring convertible (2.5 V-6) will sometimes start right up , but sometimes will just crank over and not start. Engine hot or cold doesn't matter.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that can cause a no start condition. Most likely you're either losing fuel or spark, spark is much more common and more likely to cause an intermittent problem. A bad cam sensor, crank sensor or failing coil are most likely to cause what you're experiencing.

You mentioned checking spark. Was that done during the period when it wouldn't start?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, I didn't check the spark during a time when it wouldn't start. I checked it on every cylinder after checking the spark plugs. all looked clean and the gaps set.

The only time testing is valid is when the engine doesn't start.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to check for fault codes. Have you checked for codes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do not have a code tester at this time but but should probably invest in one.

Odds are you're losing spark, in which case 90% of the time a code would be set and would be used as the starting point for diagnosis.