sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2011 Chrysler Town and Country NO Start Issue.

Customer Question

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

If the engine doesn't even crank over, check your battery, cables and starter.

If it cranks but doesn't start, check for spark at the plugs and check fuel pressure with a gauge.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The Van does start when you ground pin 86 on the starter solenoid or jump pin 30 to pin 87. The key just needs to be turned to the on position. However, the ASD relay is always closed between pin 30 to pin 87 with or without the key on. I do get P0688 as an error code on the Van.
This started when the battery light came on when driving, had Napa test the battery and it was bad. I charged the bad battery before Napa tested the battery and it had enough to start the Van again and drive to Autozone to get a new battery. However, I did not have any acceleration in the van. After replacing with the good battery the van started and I was able to drive the van home without any problems until I pulled over and turned on additional accessories to see if there were any issues. I notice an electrical hot smell and quickly got the van home. When I pulled into the drive way the alternator was smoking. I pushed the van onto the street just in case it started fire. When I received the new alternator I tried to start the van and the new battery was dead. Something was draining the battery (Two days). I pushed the van into the garage and replaced the alternator and charged the battery. Now I get the no start when I turn the key. Hopefully that is enough info to help with the issue.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, I just noticed that Fuse M28 is what is keeping the ASD K10 relay hot or closed between pin 30 and pin 87. When I remove it the ASD relay is no longer clicking or closed. What would cause this or is this normal for the ASD to be hot when the key is not in the ignition?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
can you see the question and conversation or do I need to repeat it? Thanks

Did someone remove a battery cable with the engine running or were battery or jumper cables reversed?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
at one point the battery negative cable was removed while the van was running. The van shutdown after 5 to 10 minutes. Reconnected the cable and it started and I drove it after that two or three times. It was not until the alternator burnt did I get the no start.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No battery cables or jumpers were reversed.

Do you have an actual scan tool to monitor data?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the only code is P0688.

I did note that but I'm trying to determine if you have an actual scan tool or a generic code reader.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Generic Autozone Scan Tool. Innova 3150.

Does the shifter display show that its in park?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the van shows it in park and all the other gears. I have tried to start the van in park before and I had to move it to neutral to get it to start. I have not had that problem for about a month before all this.

It's going to take monitoring data and some electrical testing to determine exactly what is going on and the extent of the damage. Allowing it to run with a battery cable disconnected may have been at least part of the issue, the alternator failing was almost surely related if the problems arose directly afterward. The problem is either in the PCM, the TIPM, or both may have been damaged.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
taking it to the dealer or a mechanic that has a Chrysler scanner is about the only hope. Since they are not cheep to own.

The ASD issue is almost surely the PCM and it's likely the cause of the starter not engaging. If the PCM does need to be replaced then a dealer scan tool and PIN obtained from Chrysler will be needed if you came up with an aftermarket reman PCM that already had software, a Mopar PCM would come without software and a Witech would be needed to program the software as well as the SKIM functions.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, sounds like I will have it towed to a dealer. Thanks for trying.

You're welcome and good luck with it!