Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

I just bought a 2005 Chrysler Town & Country Touring, the

Customer Question

I just bought a 2005 Chrysler Town & Country Touring, the very next day I took it to a stereo shop to have a Pioneer touchscreen double din stereo/DVD player installed, this has turned into a nightmare!! When I picked it up the center console lights were blacked out around the heated seats & hazard lights switches, but only the first three switched were illuminated and all the rest following were out! In addition the a/c controls lights were out as well!! I'm thinking they had to have shorted something out! Making matters worse, my van has the premium Infinity Sound system, with amp & speakers, so they had to rewire ALL MY SPEAKERS to bypass the stock amp, because I didn't have the interface module to use the amp with my upgraded stereo! Needless to say I only hear sound from the rear right side of my van!! Nothing else!! Please help me!
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you out today. First of all, have you gone back to the shop that installed the unit and asked them to recheck their work?Chris
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh yes!! I've called, gone back & they tell me one excuse after another!! I'm so insanely upset with them! I've since then read yelps reviews on their shop & several others have the same complaints! It's callesd "PCH AUDIO". In Wilmington, Ca.
You could look it up & read for yourself! I feel so violated!
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Hmmmm, I am in the Sacramento area and I highly recommend you contact Better Business Bureau (BBB) The shop should have insisted on the interface module and installed the system correctly. I can find the BBB phone number for you if you wish.

Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
that would be great, my friend suggested the same thing, but was told they would just take a report & not do any action about what happened. The shop gave me an option for the interface, but I was told AFTER I paid for the custom installation hours later & didn't have the $260 they were outrageously overcharging me for it, I checked Crutchfield after and saw it was only $79. So that's when they said imy van was already torn apart & the only other option was to redo ALL the wiring to. ALL 8 speakers! And none of them but the rear passenger one has sound!! So damn crazy!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will you please advise me now though what happened so I can have my friend follow your advice & fix it??
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did they short something out? Tapped into & spliced the ground wrong? Loosened up a module? Something not rep lugged in correctly? I checked all the fuses and they are not blown!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My friends mom also has 2005 Chrysler Town & Counrty & let me unplug their heated seat & hazard center console switches strip & when I plugged it in my van, it didn't illuminate either, but worked in her van! So it's not the circuit board or bulbs!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Has to be the wiring or another electrical problem.....PLEASE HELP!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can I send you pictures that I took on my cell so you can see what a mess they made? They just bent these metal pieces and screwed them to my brand new head unit and didn't even use an installation kit !!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's dark outside & almost 9:30pm, you can email me your suggestions and I can follow them tomorrow, if I have questions or something doesn't work I can call you back
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Go ahead and upload the pictures. Sounds like they really did a hack job. The only thing I can do for now is to research wiring diagrams for the audio system in your van and send them to you. You can then print them out and have your friend wire this up correctly. The thing is I will not be able to do this until tomorrow evening when I get home from work. Will that help? If so, please send me the Van's VIN number so I can get the correct wiring diagrams.

I will look for your reply in the morning.

Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok sounds great.....I did a diagnostic scanner & I will attach the pics of the codes that came up as well
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Ok. I will get back to you asap tomorrow.

Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here are the pics and diagnostic codes, thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here are more pics
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Last pics
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the pictures. What a mess! I will send some factory audio diag4ams this evening.

Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you sooo much Chris!
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

You are welcome!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Ok, Happy Friday! I am home and gathered up some diagrams for your friend. Click on the link below to see them. Based on what I saw in the pictures, the first thing I would do is to undo what the shop did and put the factory wiring back to stock as much as possible. Then get a Metra adaptor from Crutchfield or Best Buy and use that to wire in the Pioneer to the van's wiring at the dash. Hopefully this will help.

Chris

Here is the link:

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello Chris, I just ordered this PAC CR2-CHY4 WIRING INTERFACE from Crutchfield right now, can you please confirm that this is the correct one I need?? Is there ANYTHING else I need to purchase? Should they have attached my new double din head unit with a kit instead of half ass bent brackets??
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here are pics to show what I just ordered, please confirm mm it's the correct item to use factory amp with new stereo/DVD with infinity sound & speakers but no factory DVD entertainment.....Also I plan on adding rear overhead DVD player/monitor & rear backup camera!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Attachments
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

YES! That is exactly what you need. I have personally used that same adapter and i guarantee that it will work. Good job!

Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do I need anything else??
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I hook it up?
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

No that should be all you need. Do you have the owners manual for the Pioneer?

Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do....
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can u please send me the rear amp diagram and the overhead rear a/c control unit removal & installation diagram so I can add my DVD monitor at the same time...
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Ok, the adapter will contain instructions on how to connect it. Use the wire color info from the Pioneer instructions and the info from the adapter to connect it up. If you take your time it will be easy. Let me see what I can find regarding the other info you requested.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Ok, here is the amplifier diagram

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Here is the other info.

I hope this helps and please don't forget to rate my service when you get a chance!

Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I won't forget to rate you, I really hope this wiorks! Why do you think the lighting went out on the switches, you never told me? Also you never said why I don't hear all my speakers?
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

The lighting probably went out because the shop maybe forgot to reconnect a connector on the back of the HVAC control panel, or maybe damaged a connector behind there. As far as why you don't hear all of the speakers is hard to say without me actually being at the van and checking out what they did wrong. But after you get this wired up correctly, all speakers should work. And be sure to file a complaint with the BBB. You should be refunded all of your $$ for this hack job.

Chris