Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Battery keeps dieing, battery removed and charged, OK Need

Customer Question

Battery keeps dieing, battery removed and charged, OK Need to replace alternator 2006 PT
JA: Have you tested the battery? Is the battery fluid low?
Customer: Yes battery good
JA: What is the model of your '06 Chrysler?
Customer: PT cruiser 2.4 5 speed
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked battery, ok.replace alternator
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: When replacing battery back into car small spark when attaching batt. leads. Only thing on is clock?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hello

I'd first check the easy things like is the boot light or any other interior light staying on then check that the main battery connections are tight and in good condition also check the earth strap to the engine / gearbox. Next I'd check the current drain aspect, the best way to find what circuit is causing the excessive currant drain is to fit a current sensing multimeter in series with the positive battery lead on the car and the battery, or use a current clamp meter on the battery positive cable.

A typical current drain with everything off and un-alarmed should be around 0.05Amp and if its higher than this remove a fuse and re-measure, if measurement doesn't change then replace the fuse and remove the next.

Once you've isolated the circuit with the excessive drain check the wiring connections and plugs to components and the wiring harness that runs by the engine bay fuse box - the wiring harness chaffs / rubs through and gets damaged - but its not always easy to see so be careful when checking..

Also check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, many ideas to replace alternator.
You recommend how to replace?
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hello

to replace the alternator / generator is a bit convuluted but as follows:

The generator is located above the oil filter and axle shaft.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the 2 bolts from the top of the heat shield on the generator.
3. Remove nut from the upper T-bolt adjustment bracket.
4. Raise vehicle and support.
5. Remove the right front wheel.
6. Remove the accessory drive splash shield.
7. Remove the lower heat shield bolt.
8. Remove the generator heat shield.
9. Unplug the field circuit from the generator.
10. Remove the B+ terminal nut and wire.
11. Loosen the accessory drive belt t-bolt.
12. Remove the pencil strut.
13. Loosen the lower generator pivot bolt.
14. Remove the generator belt, refer to the Cooling section for more information.
15. Remove the axle retaining nut.
16. Remove the lower control arm from the steering knuckle.
17. Remove the 2 bolts for the axle shaft bearing support.
18. Remove the axle shaft assembly. Put a container under the transmission to catch the transmission fluid from the transmission.
19. Remove the generator from the lower mounting bracket and set generator to the side.
20 . Remove the lower mounting bracket for the generator.
21. Remove generator through the axle shaft hole

Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you