sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

I had fuse 9? (Fuel Pump Relay, etc) pop on my daughters

Customer Question

I had fuse 9? (Fuel Pump Relay, etc) pop on my daughters 2002 chrsyler sebring convertable. I replaced the fuse and everything seemed fine. Driving it in highway traffic, I accelerated, cleanly for about 2 seconds, and the engine shut off with what turned out to a hard wiring short. Everytime I put in a new fuse and started the car the fuse would pop. Mechanic found the wiring short and fixed. BUT .. Engine is running on about 4 cylinders and knocking badly and shuts itself off. Errror code0354, 0356, 1282, 1284, 1388 and 1684 are all present. Nobe if these were present before the fuse blew, car was running well getting 26-27 MPG, only pre-existing issue was rough idle while stopped in drive with AC on.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the engine is running then a handful of these codes aren't active. P1684 just sets when the battery has been disconnected. P1388 is for the ASD relay and 1282 for the fuel pump relay, if either of these issues were present then the engine wouldn't run. P1284 isn't valid.

The other codes are for coil driver circuits and explain it not running on two cylinders. These could be the coils themselves, a wiring issue, a failed coil drivers in the powertrain control module.

Do you know exactly what was done to repair the wiring issue that blew the fuse?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I asked the shop where the short was located. I have not been able to locate the fix from the top side of the car. I was told the fix was in wiring harness near the catalytic noise suppressor? I will jack the car up tomorrow and try to get to the underside and see if I can locate the fix. I hate to gamble the coil packs are the problem, when they are not returnable. But better 2 $30 coil packs than the expensive PCM.

I wouldn't recommend replacing the coils without testing to prove that they had failed. I suspect a wiring issue if this started after an ASD circuit repair.