rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

My wife is in Chryslerand battery light came on. She is out

Customer Question

My wife is in Chrysler(###) ###-####and battery light came on. She is out in middle of nowhere and has about 40 min to go to her destination. Should she be ok getting there?
JA: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?
Customer: No. She is in car by herself on way to job. Light came on while driving
JA: What is the model of your '12 Chrysler?
Customer: One of the high end ones
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: get someone that can not be a computer. She doesn't know anything about cars!!!!
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

System voltage is NOT where it should be, so either the battery is the problem or the alternator is not charging it sufficiently. You need to have the complete system tested.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What should she do? Should the car make it to her destination?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

I can't guarantee that, I don't know how bad it is. The battery and alternator need to be checked.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.