Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

I have a question about my 2007 PT Cruiser

Customer Question

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.

what would your question be ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a 2007 PT cruiser. Battery light is on. I have already changed out the alternator. Alternator light is still on. Also tach is not responding to engine, neither is temp gauge. Also the security light is on and stays on steady. I have swapped out batteries to make sure this is not a battery issue, with no change.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also the front passenger airbag OFF indicator light is on, and stays on
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.

what are the fault codes?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've done the "key dance", no codes
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.

key dance is long gone been gone for several years and a decade on many modles you need a code reader to pull at the least engine codes but since you have a CAN bus vehicle there are also codes im other modules

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well i wont be able to get a reader until tomorrow when the stores open again
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.

that's ok once you have codes i can assist further

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK...be in touch tomorrow
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.

no problem

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have pulled the codes from my 2007 PT Cruiser.1) P0700: Transmission Control System Malfunction-This I know off, I've had since I bought the car, 2) P0562: Charging System-Lo Charging, This is new, and, I guess, the core of my charging issues.
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.

do you have a volt meter to see what the charging system is actually putting out?

the spec for Chryslers is 12.9 volts to 15.1 volts depending on load battery initial state of charge (key on before you start the computer grabs a voltage reading from the battery) and outside temperature (the colder the more volts needed to fully charge the battery the warmer the less)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Unfortunately no, although, it will run when jumped to another battery on a running car. And when I disconnected the charger cables, the car ran until it drained the battery completely. I am fairly certain that the battery is now bad as well, as it did not hold a charge overnight. I did attempt to run the car on a new battery but still had the battery symbol on the dash. I have since returned the good battery to its original car, and put the original back in the car with the issue.
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.

a dead or shorted battery WILL cause charging system codes, I suggest 1) replace the battery with a new or known good one and while you're procuring a battery grab an inexpensive (usually under 20 bucks, one that I love to use is from Walmart and I got it for under 20 bucks I like it because if I accidently destroy it it's no huge deal, unlike my 300.00 snap on one that I protect with my life) digital volt meter, we need to see what the alternator is actually putting out before you can go further, alternators especially discount store ones are common BUT wiring has been known to fail as well computers not so much

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK....I will get one this evening, soon as my shift ends. Am I testing Positive to ground or what?
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.

yes positive to ground across the battery terminals WHILE the car is running, let's see what the charging system is doing first then work to a solution, guessing gets expensive FAST

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yeah, tell me about it :( Will be in touch as soon as I have more data
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.

ok ttys

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Attached is the picture of my meter. Which colored cable goes where, and what switch setting. I have put a new battery in the car, and it SEEMS to run fine. Although every so often the battery symbol comes back on with no associated codes. It immediately goes away if I start and restart the car.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Could a bad PCM cable (1st one left to right) be causing these issues?
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.

black wire goes to common red wire goes to the port JUST ABOVE common

put the meter probes on the matching colors on the battery terminals, RED = +(POSITIVE)

BLACK = - (NEGATIVE)

set the meter to 20 volts check out these videos they can be a great help here, they are both ESSENTIALLY teh same but explain it in different ways, i am going offline now the children are pestering me and it's getting late on the east coast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGB6ZEjGm7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ2ppfNakpM

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ty, I'll talk to you tomorrow
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.

a bad battery cable can cause many charging system problems, the system RELIES on the battery to be in the system to prevent the alternator from over charging, the battery puts a load on the alternator, without this load say from a bad battery the alternator voltage goes unchecked and can easily reach 30 volts or more which will at the minimum set a code at worst damage computers

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Good evening. Well after repairing a damaged PCM plug (that I found accidentally) almost all the symptoms have disappeared, With the exception of the security red light at the 6 o'clock position of the center cluster. And the Battery light that comes on at random times while driving. It will reset when I stop and start the car, but comes back eventually. There are no associated codes. Could belt tension to the alternator cause this? As I recently put a new alternator in with a new belt? When the car first started, the multimeter showed 12,27 volts, after that with the battery light on it shows 11.9-12.0v
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.

the voltage while running is way too low, and indicates the alternator is NOT charging the battery, there are 3 wires on the alternator 1 very heavy RED wire that NEEDS to have full battery voltage at all times, compare the voltage at this wire to the battery voltage with your meter it should be almost exactly the same (car not running for safety) the other 2 wires are from the voltage regulator which is INSIDE the engine computer, and is NOT a common thing to fail, the FIRST thing i would do is verify the voltage at the heavy gauge battery wire if it's almost exactly that of the battery within a tenth of a volt (your meter will read voltage in 3 or 4 digets with a decimal place I.E. 12.50 volts so a good reading would be battery at say 12.10 volts and the alternator wire has 12.00 volts bad would be something like 11.00 volts with a battery of 12.00 volts thats a full volt drop an indicates very high resistance) if you have good battery voltage have the store that sold you the first alternator replace it under warranty, this will insure you didn't get a defective alternator

Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.

as long as the car runs i am not too concerned about the red dot it's a security light and low battery voltage can effect this as it can also effect every computer in your PT

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
check the red wire, at the alternator, with the red multimeter cable, and the black multimeter cable to ground. And check battery as well to compare? And this is done when the car is off? Just making sure I have my details right.
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.

correct anytime you use your voltmeter you use it the same way the videos show red is POSITIVE black is ALWAYS ground or negative, and check these with the car off no sense in accidentally hurting yourself working around a running engine since this is a constant power it gets battery voltage at all times