Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

I have a PT cruiser It starts but drains the battery the

Customer Question

I have a PT cruiser It starts but drains the battery the altenator belt seems to be ok but could this be a fuse?
JA: Will the battery hold a charge? Do you know the fuse number?
Customer: The battery is 2 years old and holds a charge ok but there is no #16 fuse in the slot
JA: What year is your Pt Cruiser?
Customer: 2003
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to avoid replacing the belt especially if the fuse is the issue
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The car started and then died a short time later indicating that the alternater was not charging
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. This is not a fuse issue. If the battery is not staying charged then you may have a failing alternator. Do this; Get the battery charged using your battery charger or take it down to your auto parts store and get it charged and tested. Then get the car down to the auto parts store and ask them to test the charging system tested. if the alternator fails the test then have it replaced. if the alternator and battery test ok, then you may have a parasetic/ignition off draw. If that is the case, then have an auto electric shop search and repair the cause for the draw.

I hope this helps,

Chris