sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2004 Chrysler Pacifica. Won't start. Error message "memory

Customer Question

2004 Chrysler Pacifica. Won't start. Error message "memory system disabled" and "car not in park." Have already replaced ground cable, helped but a week later it again won't start. Cranks over but won't start, "car not in park" message appears. It has been running well. I am thinking a sensor or park/neutral sensor. . Any thoughts?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the starter does engage then there is almost surely more than one issue going on at the same time. If the starter didn't engage then I would first suspect the range sensor or loss of proper ground to the transmission. I've also seen powertrain control module failures that would happen due to a poor engine/trans ground which caused the starter to try to ground through the PCM.

Have you checked for fault codes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Have not checked fault codes. Why do I see the display message of "car not in park" when I have confirmed it is in park. It won't start in park or neutral.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is the "power control module" you mentioned in your first response the same as the "powertrain control module?"

I mentioned the powertrain control module, PCM.

The reason you're seeing the warning will be revealed through testing.

Are you able to check for fault codes? That is the first step in diagnosing a no start condition.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Mr. Sprinkles, I have a code: (P0685) Engine control module/powertrain control module Power relay control circuit open/confirmed.
So I am looking at the PCM and I cannot find a relay that is labeled "power relay control." Could it be labeled something else on this specific PCM?

P0685 is for the ASD relay control circuit. This could be the relay itself, a blown fuse, a wiring issue or possibly the PCM (unlikely).

Have you checked fuses?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. I put in a new fuse, tried to start the car; it still wouldn't start (cranks over, no start) checked the new fuse and it was blown. Do I have to try to follow the wires from the ASD and find if they're broken/severed now?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you tell me what ASD stands for?

ASD stands for auto shutdown.

Did this oroblem start after any work was done, an accident, jump start, etc?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It would have intermittent starting issues, once or twice weekly, then one day just wouldn't start. Then I changed some ground wires and it started for a few days, then stopped again.

The problem is a short to ground somewhere on the ASD circuit if the fuse is blowing. If no visible wiring issues are found then it's going to take some electrical testing to determine where the problem is. It's possible that the problem could be in the PCM but it's more likely to be a short to ground in the wiring harness somewhere. The ASD relay's output goes to the PCM, all coils and fuel injectors. The issue could be anywhere in the harness between any of the components. The most common places I've see harness issues are in the trans area and around the left end of the intake/coolant outlet area.