sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Back story Went to start car..... No crank, found ground

Customer Question

Back story Went to start car..... No crank, found ground broke off tranny so i put a ground on tranny pan upp,lower and one on motor mount to engine. van is in Limp mode 3rd gear... no initial faults when you first hook battery up you can drive 100 miles shifts fne then turn key off....3rd gear limp mode, also lighting bolt on so I relearn throttle and notice P2764.... already replaced pcm-tcm, and temp sensor for tranny I'm stumped....I do have a crp229 scan tool.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris (aka - Moose) replied 5 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

Did you happen to do the diag steps for this code or just tried some new parts?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well the dealer started throwing parts at it haha. I'd like to figure the problem out...I do have an odd question as well the ground that's on the tranny how many wires are therwe more than 1?

So your needing the diag steps for this code and you want to know how many grounds go to the transaxle, correct?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yeah I think that would be a good starting point.....

Super,

Here are the diag steps for the code, https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/p2764.pdf

There is only one ground attached to the transaxle. It on the lower portion of the trans on the side that faces the back of the drivers front wheel.

Please make sure to select at the top of your page prior to logging off so the post does not time out.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
After step 2 moving on to 3. Do I need to plug connector back on to pcm and back probe or check with pcm off probe? If I do it with it off it reading nothing.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did the trouble shooting and it says to replace the tcm....I've already done that..I'm stumped again... the old pcm at least let me unhook battery and drive once before limp mode this time it's constant...I'm guess that code is doing it to me

Step 4 is with the connector off checking the wire to see if its shorted to the chassis or another wire.

Will your tool allow for monitoring the slip the converter is doing while in lock up?

You may just be passing the test with the vehicle off meaning its an impossible code to diag and we need to try other ways.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it was show slip. I'm gonna get a couple hours of sleep and take a look at it when I get up thanks for the pointers so far I think tomorrow we'll get it whipped!

Thanks for the update. About to wrap up my day here as well. I log back in a couple hours after noon.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok so what's the next step man..
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
far same as yesterday P2764......but I don't understand the van goes into limp mode before code become pending or active....
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also when the code goes active the little lighting bolt turns on but turns off a free mobile later

Were you able to get the vehicle above 45 mph and monitor the converter clutch locking in and able to see the slip from a comparison of engine rpm and the TSS/ISS sensor?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've got engine rpm 4500. Turbine same as engine and output speed at 2200. Also says torque convertor slip between about 50.

Slip should only be 3 rpm or less when comparing TSS to RPM. Your showing 50 so that means the converter is locked but slipping. I would replace the converter based on these results.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
to much slip......but is that what is making it stay in limp? If I clear codes and unhook battery it will still go into limp without ever starting the car after I hook battery up?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I hooked up old tcm/pcm and that fault never shows up..... still same values to the slip though
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
3rd gear limp

If your getting a code after just starting the vehicle and the code was prior cleared. That means its electrical or module related, it would not be the converter slipping in that new information case. The converter clutch is only used above 45mph.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok... the old tcm shows no faults and goes into limp mode...... the new tcm shows p2765 as a fault and goes into limp mode....while doiNguyen the troubleshooting for the code it's saying replace tcm....is it a selinoid that is bad?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What would your advice be?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The ground bolt on the transmission,I'd there somthing inside that it's attached to? The dealer said it wasn't pssoible to drill out old bolt so they drilled a hole on the flange next to it and connected a bolt and nut to it....could this be giving me the problem?

I have reached the point where I feel my assistance is no longer helping you make any headway. I think its best I opt out and let someone else try.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks for you help
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

As I mentioned on the original question this is a solenoid circuit issue. If the solenoid and PCM have been ruled out then you have a wiring or connection issue. If no visible problems are found with the solenoid pack connector or green PCM connector 4 then the circuit either has high resistance, is open, shorted to power or ground. If no problems were found through testing then I would recommend hardwiring the circuit and cutting the old wire at each end.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Alright hardworking. Where do I start hard wiring the circuit. Do I take the cover off the solenoid pack for the connector is and start a wire from there to the PCM green connector

You're going from the solenoid pack connector on the front of the trans to the green PCM connector, the same dark green/tan wire you tested.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I'll have it rewired in a few min I'll let you know what happens

Great!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok here's what I got........rewired the dark green with tan..... new pcm stays in limp mode....p2764 as soon as I turn key. And when I do the trunk key on and off three times I won't show me the quick diagnostic codes.........when I use old pcm...I have no codes in and stays in limp unless I turn key off and on three times is shows no codes but says takes a min and displays done, at that point it goes out of limp mode but if I shut key off goes back to limp until I do the key thing agian....any suggestions?

I thought you had a scan tool?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do what would you like to know........I'm getting no codes from old tcm new one reads p2764........
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I called the place that Sent me the new pcm and said it might be a fault in the replacement so they are sending me a new one...I belive it is an electrical problem as well. I've had the solenoid pack replace along with the tempeture sensor in the trans and a pcm that might or might not be bad... what us the purpose of turning the key on and off three times if it doesn't find a code and my scan tool can't find any but. When I do that procedure it shift fine until I turn van off?

There isn't a need to cycle the key to check for codes if you have a scan tool.

If you installed a used or aftermarket 'reman' PCM then it's definitely possible you imported a problem from another vehicle. Let's see what it does when they send the replacement and go from there.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok... don't you think it's kinda odd when I do the key manual check it has no limp for 1 key turn.. evenytime I do that it shifts fine...but when I don't it goes to limp? I'll be a few days to get the computer..I've worked with gm cars for years but this chrysler is stumping my to death

Cycling the key three times doesn't have an effect on the operation of any components. it just allows you too see most codes that set in the PCM.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That's what I thought but for some reason it's letting me get out of limp mode for one key cycle. As long as I turn the 3 times of and on it let's me get out of limp mode again.....this is absolutely crazy.

The only way the trans wouldn't be in limp in is if the problem wasn't present. Each time the key is turned on it will attempt to shift again until a problem is seen. If a problem is seen then it will set a fault code and go into limp in for the remainder of the key cycle.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok so new computer... same deal no codes haha but I did notice when I try to get the transmission temp the sensor reads false... but I get a voltage back from the sensor I figured my tool won't read it. It is tried on another 09 and works just fine..
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also when I turn key and leave in in accordance I can hear the throttle blades moving and shuttering back and forth till I turn key to off oroad start...when engine is running I can see blade percentage moving but when not running blade percentage doesn't move stays about 8.55 ...no codes in van what so ever would a false temp reading or a non throttle blade be doing all of this?

How far have you driven the van with this PCM? You're driving the van before assuming no codes are set, correct?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Driven about 50 miles with new pcm...no codes before or after

Are you able to go into the TIPM and actuate the trans 12v supply?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No unfortunately I can only look at live data

Can you send screenshots or pictures of all the trans data you have with the engine running and shifter in drive?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This what I have when shifting fine
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is when I'm limp mode..... I noticedon't a difference in the thermistor measured oil temp reading steady -19.44....and also the calculated trans oil temp reading false where it was reading true and also aneed actual moving reading for thermostatic measured oil temp

Is that all the data it's giving you? I assume you picked trans from a module menu?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yep... pick trans either in engine or trans I have the same options for data.I picked what I thought was all transmission for you but I can pick it all of that would help. I'm guessing the thermistor measured oil temp is located in the transmission or is it somewhere eles? Is that what also gives the transmission temp reading? Odd that those to items chase once it goes into limp mode.

You can disregard trans temp, it defaults when the trans is in limp in and is ignored. It's definitely intentionally in limp in from the little bit of data posted, commanded gear was third.

Go ahead and post any engine and trans data that you can, what's shown here is bout 50% of what's actually available, although what you're using may not be able to display it all.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok will do..
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well new pcm installed...... p2764.... only code....

It's another aftermarket reman, correct?

Are you positive they didn't send the same one back?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yep I've got bother new pcms...

If you're setting the same code with multiple PCM's then you still have a converter clutch solenoid or control circuit wiring issue.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I required the dark green yang wire from computer to harness connector...could it be past that?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Wow sorry Auto correct I rewired the dark green wire with tan stripe form the pcm to solenoid connector... could it behind the wariness? I've never had that off yet. Is there a way I counderstand back pin the wire to see if its getting the signal or property voltage?

Are you able to upload a picture of the connections at each end?