Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Sprinter Van Certified

2000 TnC 140k miles new battery,tune up. No starting,driving

Customer Question

2000 TnC 140k miles new battery,tune up. No starting,driving or other operational problems. Recently the dashbrd will go blank and then come back on while drivingon the highway or when starting the vehicle. Last week I went to drive and the vehicle started and stopped 3 times and then would not do anything. Left it sit for a few days,went to start it,would start and rev then quit. Tried putting it in neutral with foot on the brake to start and would start,quit and not start again. Please help.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

Ok so at this time, the vehicle will or will not start?

Is there a "Red Dot" illuminated or flashing when you are trying to start the vehicle?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Entered the vin ,please read my question/description of the problem. The vehicle was losing the dash function no tach,speed,gauges but was running fine at 70-80mph at the last chk being on cruise control. This happened a few times the the dash would lite up all ok. Get home park in the garage next time vehicle would crank longer than usual start and stop and start again,drive fine with dash working. With the longer cranking and the battery being 7 yrs old I thought it was time to be replaced and did so. The slow starting was solved,the dash would go blank while driving, no performance problems or having to restart. Then prepping for a road trip I went to go get fuel,vehicle would start and stop,started and reved it to check the tach. It stopped and started the 3rd time,no dash it stopped and would not start again. I need your expert opinion/diagnosis prior to me having it towed to the dealer for their try this and that in attempt to solve the malfunction. Please help if you can hopefully your solution will save me some headache and money. Thank you RJ White -***@******.***
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

Hello RJ,

Ok, at this time, I am thinking you may have 2 separate issues. The 2000 T&C is known for the instrument cluster solder joints breaking on the connector pins and causing intermittent cluster operation.

On your intermittent start and stall condition I am suspecting a Theft Security Issue causing this problem. The BCM is responsible for theft alarm functions. I suspect that the BCM is failing and causing your start and stall issue. The BCM may also be causing the cluster issues as the BCM sends some info to the cluster for display purposes...

The best way to find out what is wrong is to have it scanned by using a DRBIII scanner (Factory Scanner) this scanner can talk to ALL onboard computers and will be the best chance of getting this figured out... If you can have it scanned and post all codes here, I'll do my best to steer you in the right direction...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,