sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My 2004 or cruiser starts but immediately dies. This started

Customer Question

My 2004 or cruiser starts but immediately dies. This started after I refueled at a shell gas station the car started shaking so i pulled into another gas station and turned the car off. And know it starts but immediately dies out v
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are may things that will cause the engine to run poorly or start and die but the fact that it happened immediately after getting fuel makes it very likely to be a fuel related issue. It isn't unheard of for a fuel pump to fail after filling the tank but you may have also gotten a tank of contaminated fuel.

Have you checked for fault codes?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have not tried anything. I am mechanically challenged when it comes to automobiles and am looking for some direction. I have not analyzed the fault codes. Also, if it is bad gas, is there something I can do to fix that issue?
The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to check for fault codes. If no codes directly related to a no start condition are found then the next step will be to check fuel pressure and take a sample. If the fuel is contaminated the the tank will need to be drained, the tank and line flushed, and the spark plugs will likely need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I added some seafoam motor treatment to the gas tank in case it was bad gas. The car is still starting and dying but I am notice white smoke coming from the exhaust. Any thoughts?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Is the coolant full?

Have you taken a fuel sample?