Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Sprinter Van Certified
49095596

i have a 2010 chysler town and country. i had no proem

Customer Question

i have a 2010 chysler town and country. i had no proem with my keys prior to a year and a half a ago. since then i have gone through 7 keys. i took my van in cor service and they told me there was a recall on the ignation. some people hitting it with there knees while the car was on cause the key to slip out of the on position. they said they wod fix it for free. they only instLled what looks like 2 plastic tabs on the ignation. these tabs causes my keys to break. each time you turn the key past these tabs the key gradually breaks. i have taken it back to the dealer that instlled it and they told me that there was nothing wrong with it. i took it to another mechanic not the dealer and they agreed with me that this was breaking my keys and they also said that chysler should have given me 2 new keys when i had this done. please advise what i can do..these keys are very expensive!!!

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Nate replied 6 months ago.

There doesn't seem to be any reason to activate the abs system to properly bleed the brakes.

Expert:  Nate replied 6 months ago.

sorry for some reason this posted to the wrong question, please ignore the previous entry. I will opt out and let another expert take a look at your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN so that I can do some research on this concern for you? This will be the best place to start because there have been 2 separate recalls on the ignition switch, you may have an outstanding recall...

Here are the customer letters for the 2 recalls:

L25 --->> Click Here to view <<--- This is the one that I suspect was done

Here is a pic of the detent they install --->> Click Here to view <<---

Here is the R03 Recall Letter --->> Click Here to view <<---

This one supercedes the L25. I suspect this is outstanding on your vehicle. This will involve replacing the ignition switch along with new keys. If you purchased keys, they will also give you additional keys.

Post the VIN and I'll give you additional info on this...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  David Gieswein replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I can help. I have performed this recall before and I don't like it. I usually tell the customer why I don't like it and they usually don't have it done. Last time I checked, the repair part was crappy. It made the key harder to turn and sometimes get stuck. If the recall has been done I would recommend you remove it. If I remember correctly, you just pry the key cylinder bezel out and take the foam insert off. Let me know what you got and it would really help if you can send me a pic on this ticket please. Thanks

Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.

Hello, David is correct about the L25 recall which is what I think yours still has. The R03 Recall supercedes this recall and removes this detent and replaces the ignition switch along with the 2 keys. Please post the last 8 digits of the VIN and I'll make sure the R03 is outstanding on yours so that you can schedule to have the switch replaced along with the keys....

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Oh sorry Robert, I thought you opted out. I apologize for posting over you.

Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.

Nate opted out. No problem, Thanks for letting me know...

Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark >>> My Profile Page <<< in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.